Monday, September 26, 2011

Module 2


Learning Theory: Cognitivism
            Kerr (2007) portrays the realities of learning theories in the present educational system.  I agree that the educational system needs a change, and this change needs to be based I theories and research.  Behaviorism, cognitivism, and constructivism do not explain how learning takes place in all situations, so I believe that a pragmatic approach would be best to address the needs of the students as suggested by Kerr (2007) and Kapp (2007).
            As an educator, I need to know and understand my students and their needs.  With this information, I need to design meaningful activities and lessons to meet their needs.  I would also choose the best theory or approach to make my students successful.

References
Kapp, K. (2007, January 2). Out and about: Discussion on educational schools of thought [Web log post]. Retrieved from http://www.kaplaneduneering.com/kappnotes/index.php/2007/01/out-and-about-discussion-on-educational/
Kerr, B. (2007, January 1). _ism as filler, not blinker [Web log post]. Retrieved from   http://billkerr2.blogspot.com/2007/01/isms-as-filter-not-blinker.html

2 comments:

  1. Andres,
    I feel that education functions off all the theories. Teachers choose different portions of each theory and implement them in their classroom to create an effective learning environment. I agree that if education changed to one theory that focused on the best part of each theory it would make more sense and be more effective.
    Great Blog!!
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Rachel,
    Thank you for your comments. As educators, we need to address our students' needs. We need to have options to engage students in the learning process and help them succeed.

    ReplyDelete